Wednesday 30 January 2013

Ontario elects gay premier

Along with other readers of the newspaper, I have been following the flurry of letters criticizing the Globe for mentioning that the premier elect of Ontario was gay. I was inclined to agree with them. I was particularly taken by the conclusion to one of those letters:

Using your standards of what constitutes relevant information, how should I sign off on this letter? Should I say mother, grandmother, retiree, divorcee, a lover of fine wines and opera?

Right on, I thought. And then, this morning, I read a response to that letter:

if teenagers were routinely rejected by their parents or driven to suicide because they loved opera, then yes, it would be relevant to mention and celebrate the moment when the first opera lover became leader of our province.

It's good to read different points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment